The incident happened at Elstree Studios, which is home to Strictly Come Dancing. Eric Ihoeghinlan was collecting electrical cable whilst re-rigging at the studio. There were no guards along the edges of the lighting grid.
Mr Ihoeghinlan suffered multiple injuries, including a clot on the brain, fractured pelvis and ankles and a ruptured spleen. Due to his brain damage, it is not known if he will be able to work again.
Upon inspection, HSE found that there was no edge protection along the lighting grids. BBC Studioworks pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 2 and 3 of the Health & Safety at Work Act and fined £200,000 and pay costs of more than £6000.
Lighting contract Elstree Light & Power were also found guilty of breaching the Health & Safety at Work Act and fined £30,000 and pay costs of more than £39,000.
Falls from height are one of the most common causes of work related injuries and fatalities in the UK.
Fill in your details below and one of our friendly experts will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
We will respond to your call back within 24 hours during business working hours×