Two Essex-based companies have been fined after exposing workers to potentially deadly asbestos over a period of years, despite being alerted to the risks at their premises.
Basildon Crown Court heard that asbestos was found in poor condition when Connect Packaging Ltd moved into industrial units in Manor Road Trading Estate in 2007, but that it failed to act to control risk. As a result, its employees were exposed to risk from airborne asbestos fibres. The company then moved out of the units in 2009 and sublet them to another company with the group (Creo Retail Marketing Ltd), while continuing to exercise some control over maintenance and repair work at the premises.
In 2014, Creo Retail Marketing Ltd undertook its own asbestos survey, this confirmed continuing risk of exposure to airborne asbestos fibres from sources including poorly-encapsulated blue asbestos (crocidolite).Despite the results, workers remained exposed to these risks while the companies debated their responsibility for its removal and failed to act effectively to prevent exposure.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation and its scientists found asbestos fibres at locations including the workers’ clocking-in point, on rafters above work areas, and within a stationery cupboard. When asbestos fibres become airborne, they can be inhaled, and these tiny fibres are known to cause respiratory diseases and cancers. The court heard that workers at both companies were exposed to risk over an extended period of time.
Connect Packaging Ltd was fined £65,000 and ordered to pay £8,150.23 in costs after pleading guilty to a breach of Section 4 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. Creo Retail Marketing Ltd was fined £150,000 and ordered to pay £8,149.63 in costs after pleading guilty to breaches of Sections 2 and 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
After the hearing, HSE Inspector Nikki Hughes said:
“Connect Packaging Ltd is now under new ownership but while it held the tenants- repairing-lease on the rented units it had a legal duty to manage asbestos within these non-domestic premises, as did its sub-tenant, Creo Retail Marketing Ltd.
“After this asbestos was identified, both companies should have acted promptly and effectively to control the potentially lethal risk to which their workers were exposed. Asbestos-related disease has a long latency period, so we cannot predict the consequences this failure to manage asbestos may have on their workers’ health.
“This prosecution should act as a reminder to all persons in control of the repair and maintenance of non-domestic premises of the need to ensure that the correct control measures are put in place to prevent exposure to asbestos, so far as is reasonably practicable.”
For further information on Asbestos Awareness or other Asbestos related training courses Park City can provide, or any other health and safety issues call 01206 752100.
Fill in your details below and one of our friendly experts will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
We will respond to your call back within 24 hours during business working hours×